Friday, October 17, 2014

The Two Crosses of Peace

Black Forest, Colorado

No, I haven't become a Roman Catholic, but there is something intriguing about these two rosary crosses. One is a crucifix and the other is empty.

I grew up in a Lutheran church where I don't remember seeing a crucifix. At the front of the church was a large empty cross. That cross captured your attention when you entered the nave. Somewhere in my Christian education I was told that the cross was empty to reminded us of Jesus' resurrection.

However, outside of my office at Holy Cross is a nineteenth century crucifix from Lutherstadt-Wittenberg, Germany. When I enter my office I'm reminded of the sacrifice that Jesus made to pay for my sin and make me God's child.

We need both crosses. It is through the cross of Jesus that we have peace with God.

"For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in [Jesus], and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross." Colossians 1:19 New International Version

Sometimes we're so concerned about peace with our neighbor that we forget that it is through Jesus' sacrifice and his resurrection that we have the peace that lasts for eternity. We have peace with God.

You have peace with God. So, whether you wear a crucifix or an empty cross, or have them hanging in your home, both are a constant reminder that today God is at peace with you.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.  

No comments:

Post a Comment