Thursday, October 16, 2014

Broken Peace

Black Forest, Colorado

I've sat in these chairs before, but they were side-by-side, not facing away from each other. These chairs speek to me about my relationship with God. I've moved my chair.

So, why have I moved my chair?

What you don't see in this picture is that the chair closest to me was facing the mountains. It would not surprise me that someone moved it in order to meditate while looking at Pikes Peak or the Front Range mountains.

I'm finding a lot of "beautiful things" that are distracting me from an intimate relationship with God. It's not that these things are evil or bad, but I'm distracted by them. They cause me to take my eyes off of the beauty of God's love for me in Jesus Christ.

In the end, I've turned my chair away from God.

"You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." Isaiah 26:3 New International Version

Over the next few days we'll address the issue of peace in our lives. To understand peace we've got to begin with the fact that we human creatures have broken our peace with God. That's what sin does. We move our chairs away from God. We turn our backs on God.

Our minds have not been steadfast on God.

There's good news in the picture above. The chair in background hasn't moved since the last time I visited this knoll. God doesn't move, even when we rearrange our chairs.

Peace belongs to God. It is his gift to us, even when we move our chairs.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.  

No comments:

Post a Comment