Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Reaching for Peace

Black Forest, Colorado

I'm an equal opportunity mute-er. A what!?! You see I mute all political advertisements, even for the people that I'll probably end up supporting. I detest political advertising.

I'm not against substantive debate. In fact debate over issues, not personal defects, helps us clarify whom we'll support.

Got that off my chest...but what I've shared has relevance to the picture above. We are called by the Gospel to be peacemakers, not peace fakers.

We've been spending the past few days exploring the issue of peace, mostly centered around this statue in the middle of Black Forest.

In this last blog on this topic we'll explore reaching out for peace.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification." Romans 14:19 New International Version

As I look at this extended hand I see a two-way movement of peace. We grasp for peace and we give peace. Both are equally important. Both fulfill Paul's words in Romans.

On the one hand, we grasp at the peace that God has given us in Christ. We are at peace with God.

Yet being at peace with God also means that we give peace, or as Jesus says in the Sermon on the Mount, we are peacemakers. The peace that God works in our lives is also the peace that we share with others.

As Jesus said, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God." Matthew 5:9 New International Version

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment