Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Stronger than Fear

Golden, Colorado

Baseball is in my blood.  My grandfather was a major league baseball scout. My dad was a respected pitcher in the Cascade League in the Pacific Northwest. I learned to keep score from my mom.

But I was a terrible baseball player. I couldn't get out of the way of a baseball fast enough when it was either thrown at me or hit at me. The ball was way to hard and I was way to soft (emotionally speaking) that I didn't want to play the game.

Fear of the baseball kept me from enjoying America's past time.

Fear has a way of keeping us from enjoying God's peace.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." John 14:27 English Standard Version

Jesus had a great deal to fear the night that he spoke these words to his disciples. In a few short hours he would be handed over to people who hated him, beaten, nailed to a cross to die. Yet he encourages his disciples to not be afraid.

Through the violence of his death, Jesus has given us the gift of peace. We are at peace with God. This peace is stronger than our fears which rob us of joy.

We'll struggle with fear on this journey of life, but the gift of peace is stronger than our fears.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment