Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Conquering the Sunset

Avon, Colorado

I could stare at this picture of my grandson for hours. It 's such an amazing picture of his spirit. I would love to know what he was thinking as I caught this picture on my iPhone, yet to me it appears that he is ready to conquer the sunset.

"All who are victorious will be clothed in white. I will never erase their names from the Book of Life, but I will announce before my Father and his angels that they are mine." Revelation 3:5 New Living Translation

The older I get the more this picture of heaven appeals to me. My parents generation is nearly passed away. People who taught me in Sunday School, mentored me through college and taught me in seminary have joined the Church Triumphant. My dad, sister, sister-in-law and now mother-in-law, whom we lay to rest today, have joined the chorus of heaven.  Each one of them victorious in life. Each one of them has their name written in the Book of Life.

They have conquered the sunset.

This gift to conquer comes to the baptized through the gift of the Holy Spirit. Remaining faithful is only possible through that Spirit who has taken up residence in you and me. It is the Spirit who daily brings us to the cross of Christ and it is the Spirit who daily leads us into the world with that cross of Christ.

In the end, it will be the Holy Spirit who leads us into the presence of Christ.

Until that day we celebrate with both those who daily walk with us this side of heaven and those who now sit in the stands and cheer us on.

Through Christ, the sunset has been conquered.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment