Sunday, July 27, 2014

Picturing the Past

Mt Angel, Oregon

I recently interviewed my father-in-law, Erwin Nickodemus, about his experience in World War II. He is now 96 years-old and he struggled to remember details of his experience.

As the interview proceeded, this picture of my mother-in-law and father-in-law caught my attention. It recalls younger days before four children, eight grandchildren and six great-grandchildren.

This picture is one of many that fills the living room. There are wedding pictures, family pictures, and pictures of grandchildren.

Pictures help us to remember where we've been in life.

"Think back on those early days when you first learned about Christ." Hebrews 10:32a New Living Translation

What causes you to remember the early days of your walk in Christ? Lately I've thought about family devotions, Sunday School lessons and youth activities.  These were important activities which communicated the faith to me. They might not be framed pictures that hang on my living room wall, but they do occupy my memories.

Looking back and remembering our faith journey is important as we anticipate what God has in store for us. As he was faithful in the past, so he will be faithful in the future.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment