Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Simon Carries Jesus' Cross


Click on this SoundCloud link to listen to an audio recording of today's blog.

(Note: The Stations of the Cross have been used by Christians to remember the path Jesus took to his death. Some of these stations are based on tradition and others on Scripture. For the next four days, as we prepare to celebrate Jesus resurrection, we will meditate on four of the stations, which are recorded in Scripture. The pictures are of wood carvings that have deteriorated over time, yet they still depict the story.  I invite you to pray these devotions as you make your way to the empty tomb.)

"And they compelled a passerby, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to carry his cross." Mark 15:21 English Standard Version

Lord Jesus, is it that you could no longer carry your cross that a man who was intent on passing by the scene was compelled to carry your cross? You have been beaten, spit on, and mocked. A thorny crown adorned your head. You were near death even before the hammer hit the first corroded nail. Were your lungs heaving? Was your blood mixed with laboring sweat? Were your legs immobilized by the oppressive weight of your cross?

Though your Father sends you to your cross, he shows compassion. A different father is pressed into service. He is forced to carry your cross. For the briefest of moments the burden has been lifted, no, the burden has been shared.

Is this why you call me to carry my cross, that I too may share in your burden? I would pass by this scene had I been there. The horror and cruelty of the crucifixion is more than I could bear, yet it is not a soldier who compels me to carry your cross. It is your Holy Spirit who lays this burden on my shoulders.

Your burden was more than a instrument of execution. Your burden was the sin of this world. Your burden was my sin. And now, I bear the weight of you cross on my shoulders. Though you have paid the price for humanity's sin, this sin still infects us. I see the brokenness of this sin around me.

I see the burden of addiction. I see the burden of abuse. I see the burden of poverty.

Holy Spirit, firmly set Jesus' cross on my shoulders that as his sibling I might have the privilege of selfless burden bearing. May I count it a privilege to bear the cross for those who struggle with poverty, abuse and addiction, knowing that the victory over sin has been won.

Lord Jesus, I know that one day, the cross will be removed from my shoulders. One day there will no longer be the need to bear burdens. The promise of an eternity with you has been sealed by your empty tomb. But until that day, may I count it a joy to be compelled to carry your cross.

We adore you, O Christ, and bless you, for by your cross you have redeemed the world.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast on The iB Network Internet radio station every Sunday at 8:00 & 11:30 am, as well as, 1:00 & 8:00 pm MDT (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show using the Tunin app on your mobile device.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment