Friday, April 3, 2015

Jesus' Clothes Are Removed



Click on this SoundCloud link to listen to an audio recording of today's blog.

(Note: The Stations of the Cross have been used by Christians to remember the path Jesus took to his death. Some of these stations are based on tradition and others on Scripture. For the next two days, as we prepare to celebrate Jesus resurrection, we will meditate on two of the stations, which are recorded in Scripture. The pictures are of wood carvings that have deteriorated over time, yet they still depict the story.  I invite you to pray these devotions as you make your way to the empty tomb.)

"And they crucified him and divided his garments among them, casting lots for them, to decide what each should take." Mark 15:24 English Standard Version

How humiliating it must have been for you to have your clothes stripped from your body. How troubling it must have been to watch the soldiers carelessly cast lots for you garments so that they might claim them as their trophy for a job well done.

Not only has your clothing disappeared, but so have your friends. They, too, have left you naked on your cross. No one has your back. No one comes to your defense; no one.

You have nothing on the cross except the nails that fasten your body to its slivered surface.

As I see you hanging exposed with nothing to call your own, I consider my desire for stuff. What would be left of me if I had nothing? How would my life be defined if I had no car, no computer, no furniture? What if I had no home?

Ringing in my ears are your words to the rich young man, "go sell it all, give your proceeds to the poor and come follow me." Does my stuff keep me from following you? Is it easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for me to enter your reign because I cling to my stuff?

Salvation is impossible for me to accomplish, but not for you. Everything is possible for you, even saving hoarder like me.

We adore you, O Christ, and bless you, for by your cross you have redeemed the world.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast on The iB Network Internet radio station every Sunday at 8:00 & 11:30 am, as well as, 1:00 & 8:00 pm MDT (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show using the Tunin app on your mobile device.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment