Thursday, April 2, 2015

Jesus Meets the Women


Click on this SoundCloud link to listen to an audio recording of today's blog.

(Note: The Stations of the Cross have been used by Christians to remember the path Jesus took to his death. Some of these stations are based on tradition and others on Scripture. For the next three days, as we prepare to celebrate Jesus resurrection, we will meditate on three of the stations, which are recorded in Scripture. The pictures are of wood carvings that have deteriorated over time, yet they still depict the story.  I invite you to pray these devotions as you make your way to the empty tomb.)

"But turning to them Jesus said, 'Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children.'" Luke 23:28 English Standard Version

Dear Jesus, as Simon carries your cross leading the way to your execution, a crowd follows you. Did they jeer you? Did some throw stones at you or spit on you? Are some excited to watch your execution?

I'm told that in this crowd were faithful women who followed you. They beat their chest and loudly mourn your fate. They follow you shackled by their inability to help. Are these women who had ministered to you? Was your mother among them?

As Simon leads on, you stop to speak to these women. I expect words of comfort from your mouth, instead you deliver words of lament. You grieve with these women over their future, seeing that their future is worse than your cross.

Nothing could be more painful for these women than to hear you calling blessed the woman who had never given birth. Are you speaking of Jerusalem's coming destruction? Are you speaking of the difficulty of living the baptismal faith?

This journey with you to your cross has been difficult. I watched as you were sentenced to death and as you picked up your cross. Like Simon, I have felt compelled to carry your cross, and now I hear you speak a lament.

Where is the joy? Where is the happiness? I'm not sure I can do this anymore. I cannot bear your cross. Where is the God of love in this story? When I stop my own lamenting, I see your love in stopping and speaking to these grieving women. Yes the words were difficult for them to hear, yet they were comforted by your presence.

Jesus, today I stand in your presence. Your presence is all I need.

We adore you, O Christ, and bless you, for by your cross you have redeemed the world.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast on The iB Network Internet radio station every Sunday at 8:00 & 11:30 am, as well as, 1:00 & 8:00 pm MDT (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show using the Tunin app on your mobile device.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment