Saturday, April 4, 2015

Jesus is Nailed to the Cross


Click on this SoundCloud link to listen to an audio recording of today's blog.

(Note: The Stations of the Cross have been used by Christians to remember the path Jesus took to his death. Some of these stations are based on tradition and others on Scripture. This is the last day that we will meditate on the stations. This picture is of a wood carving that has deteriorated over time, yet it still depict the story.  I invite you to pray this devotion as you make your way to the empty tomb.)

"And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left." Luke 23:33 English Standard Version

My Lord Jesus, how is it that you embrace the pain of your cross? Are the soldiers surprised when you willing laid your arms on the timbers that had been used in previous crucifixions? Are they shocked when you refuse to fight, when you accept the nails? Did they hear your words of forgiveness?

Unlike you, I cannot embrace pain, instead I flee from afflictions. I order my day so that I experience the least amount of pain. I avoid conflict. I deny problems. I dodge difficulties.

Yet it seems that the more I run away from pain, the more pain I create for myself. When I dodge difficulties they grow worse. When I deny problems they become more problematic. When I avoid conflicts I  create new ones.

The writer to the Hebrews states that you endured the pain of your cross, even scorned its shame, because of the joy that awaited you (Hebrews 12:2), a joy that you first experienced when you proclaimed your victory over the satanic forces (1 Peter 3:19).

O Holy Spirit, fix my eyes on Jesus and the joy that awaits me when I see him face-to-face. Teach me to see beyond this momentary pain and trust the promise of Isaiah, that one day you will wipe away all my tears and remove my disgrace from my life (Isaiah 25:8).

We adore you, O Christ, and bless you, for by your cross you have redeemed the world.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast on The iB Network Internet radio station every Sunday at 8:00 & 11:30 am, as well as, 1:00 & 8:00 pm MDT (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show using the Tunin app on your mobile device.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment