Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Jesus Carries His Cross


Click on this SoundCloud link to listen to an audio recording of today's blog.

(Note: The Stations of the Cross have been used by Christians to remember the path Jesus took to his death. Some of these stations are based on tradition and others on Scripture. For the next five days, as we prepare to celebrate Jesus resurrection, we will meditate on five of the stations, which are recorded in Scripture. The pictures are of wood carvings that have deteriorated over time, yet they still depict the story.  I invite you to pray these devotions as you make your way to the empty tomb.)

"So they took Jesus, and he went out, bearing his own cross, to the place called The Place of a Skull, which in Aramaic is called Golgotha." John 19:16b-17 English Standard Version

Humble Lord Jesus, soldiers placed a cross on your shoulders, yet they could never have forced it upon you had you not first chosen the cross. "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done." (Matthew 26:42 NIV) These Roman soldiers are agents of your choosing. You must bear your cross.

In your action of choosing the cross I hear your words ringing in my ears. You commanded me to pick up my cross and follow you. Like Jonah fleeing  your command, I have fled from picking up my cross and following you.

I have chosen the pursuit of happiness, pleasure, and self gratification over a cross. I have not wept with those who weep or rejoiced with those who rejoice. I want people who will make me feel good about myself or who will feel sorry for my miserable life.

Forgive me for my sin.

Point me to your selfless cross that, basking in the wonderment of grace, I might be empowered to pick up my cross and follow in your footsteps. Convert my heart from selfish ambition to reckless self abandonment, that others see in me the power of your cross and the greatness of your compassion.

We adore you, O Christ, and bless you, for by your cross you have redeemed the world.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast on The iB Network Internet radio station every Sunday at 8:00 & 11:30 am, as well as, 1:00 & 8:00 pm MDT (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show using the Tunin app on your mobile device.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment