Monday, March 23, 2015

"Where Were You?"


Click on this SoundCloud link to listed to an audio recording of today's blog.

"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me if you have such insight." Job 38:4 God's Word to the Nations

Watch out when God speaks and answers our questions. We're probably not going to get the answers we expect, but the ones we need.

For some reason we think that if we understand why God allows pain in our lives we'll feel better about our suffering.

"If I understand why God allowed my child to be born Down syndrome, if I understand why my eyes suffer from macular degeneration, if I understand why I'm always second when I'm looking for a job, then I'll be at peace."

Would we be at peace with the answer we get from God? Wouldn't we argue with that reason? "God you don't know what you're doing. I could do so much more and be so much more productive if I didn't have this thorn in my flesh."

So God never told Job why he suffered. Instead he told him how to handle suffering. Through all his questions, God tells Job, "You be you, and I'll be me. Trust me." This trust produces hope.

Paul puts it this way in Romans 5. "We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love." Romans 5:3-4 (NLT)

It is what God does through suffering that matters, not why we're suffering.  In the end, God desires that our confident trust in him will produce hope that is rooted in his eternity for us.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast on The iB Network Internet radio station every Sunday at 8:00 & 11:30 am, as well as, 1:00 & 8:00 pm MDT (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show using the Tunin app on your mobile device.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment