Tuesday, March 24, 2015

"Why Have You Forsaken Me?"


Click on this SoundCloud link to listed to an audio recording of today's blog.

"And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, 'Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?' which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'" Mark 15:34 English Standard Version

You might not be aware that Jesus quotes Psalm 22 from the cross. Right after these words King David continues, "Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest." Psalm 22:1b-2 (ESV)

I'm not quite sure why most translations use the word "groaning." The Hebrew word is that of lion roaring from deep within, a roar that would frighten anyone to the core. Feeling the abandonment of his Father, Jesus roars from the cross, "My God, my God, why?"

We learned from Job that God doesn't owe us an answer to our questions about suffering. "Why me? Why this? Why now?" might be the questions we ask in the face of suffering. Even though God may not answer these questions directly, God isn't silent. He calls us to trust him when trusting him doesn't make sense.

Jesus was forsaken on the cross, but he didn't give up on his Father. Though he roared like a lion, he entrusted himself into his Father's hands. "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." Luke 23:46 (ESV)

Jesus' cry from the cross encourages us to do the same thing. Not that we will immediately die, but that we will experience life in the midst of our suffering. Jesus' cry ought to be our daily prayer, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit even though I don't understand the pain and suffering."

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast on The iB Network Internet radio station every Sunday at 8:00 & 11:30 am, as well as, 1:00 & 8:00 pm MDT (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show using the Tunin app on your mobile device.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment