Monday, March 30, 2015

Jesus Is Condemned to Death


Click on this SoundCloud link to listen to an audio recording of today's blog.

(Note: The Stations of the Cross have been used by Christians to remember the path Jesus took to his death. Some of these stations are based on tradition and others on Scripture. For the next six days, as we prepare to celebrate Jesus resurrection, we will meditate on six of the stations, which are recorded in Scripture. The pictures are of wood carvings that have deteriorated over time, yet they still depict the story.  I invite you to pray these devotions as you make your way to the empty tomb.)

"So Pilate, wishing to satisfy the crowd, released for them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified." Mark 15:15 English Standard Version

Lord Jesus, all your life you made sure that others were not alone. You ate with tax collectors and sinners. You welcomed children into your lap. You saved a bride and groom from embarrassment, turning water into wine. But now, in your last moment, no one stands with you. You are alone before the ruling council of your people. You are alone before Pontius Pilate. Both Jew and Gentile condemn you to death. The world condemns you to death.

As I see you standing alone, I recognize that I am isolated from others. I have both willfully and unknowingly push people away. They have not deserted me, but I have deserted them. The finger of justice points at me.

I acknowledge that my sin was the cause of your separation from others. You were hung alone on your cross so that I might know that I'm never alone. You stand with me even when I have not stood with you. You are rich in mercy, love and forgiveness.

By the power of your Holy Spirit change me, that like you, I might stand with those who are alone, and in my presence they may know that it is you who will always stand with them.

We adore you, O Christ, and bless you, for by your cross you have redeemed the world.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast on The iB Network Internet radio station every Sunday at 8:00 & 11:30 am, as well as, 1:00 & 8:00 pm MDT (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show using the Tunin app on your mobile device.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment