Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Vote for Pedro

Ocote Pando, Honduras

It probably doesn't come as a surprise for many of you that I'm a fan of the movie, Napoleon Dynamite. The movie makes sense to those of us who've spent time in Idaho.

A major character in the movie is Napoleon's friend, Pedro. My oldest son still proudly wears his "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt.

I met the real Pedro in Ocote Pando, and I would vote for him any day.

It was Monday morning when we made our trip to Ocote Pando. I had been informed that I was to speak to the adults while the children spent time with the other three members of our team. Pedro led us in singing. Since I don't know Spanish, I didn't understand the songs, but I could tell that there was a genuine spirit of worship in Pedro's leadership.

Then he sat and listened to my message, engaged the entire time I spoke. Many of us who lead step outside or find something else to do when we're done leading. Not Pedro, he expectantly waited for God to speak to him.

Pedro was a picture of Jesus' words in the Sermon on the mount: "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." Matthew 5:6 English Standard Version

Pedro struck a balance between giving and receiving. He was willing to lead us in singing and yet hungered to receive from God. May our thirst for righteousness produce both a desire to serve God and receive from him.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)
  
Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment