Thursday, April 17, 2014

Raising Our Hands

Ocote Pando, Honduras

I don't know the song we were singing, and even if I did I, wouldn't have understood the words as they were sung in Spanish, but I do understand the motion of raising hands.

Even though I understand the language of raised hands it is still something with which I'm not quite comfortable. I'm a Lutheran...need I say more?

However, I can't argue with the fact that the Bible speaks to raising hands in worship.

"Let my prayer be accepted as sweet-smelling incense in your presence. Let the lifting up of my hands in prayer be accepted as an evening sacrifice." Psalm 141:2 God's Word to the Nations

I can't argue with the fact that we're called to make a "joyful noise" to the Lord (Psalm 94:1). I can't argue with the fact that we're called to give thanks to the Lord with musical instruments (Psalm 33:2). I can't argue with the fact that we're called to be silent before the Lord (Zephaniah 1:7).

The Bible calls us out of our comfort zone, especially when it comes to worship.

So...I raise my hands in worship.  My salvation is not in jeopardy if I keep my hands to my side and my head bowed.  In fact, this can be an appropriate position for worship, but not always.  God's Spirit calls us to lift holy hands (1 Timothy 2:8).

Over the next couple of days our hands will be raised to one who was exalted on a cross, buried in a grave, and risen victorious over death.

Can you think of anyone more worthy of our praise?

Today's Challenge: Raise your hands in prayer to God.  Do this in the privacy of your home where no one can see you. Then take note of how your felt as you raised your hands in prayer.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)
  
Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment