Thursday, April 24, 2014

God's Invitation

Near Acaguaque, Honduras

We were en route from Ocote Pando to Acaguaque when we stopped along this creek for lunch. At first we thought we were going to take out the coolers and eat beside this nice stream, but Pastor Omar signaled us on further along this creek until we came to these waterfalls.

These were not massive waterfalls, thundering with thousands of gallons of water spilling over their overhangs.  The sound was gentle, soothing and inviting. I wished for my tripod and neutral density filter so that I could create a silky stream flowing into this pool.

Our picture of God is often different from this picture.  Instead of seeing God as gentle, soothing and inviting, we view God as harsh and demanding, someone that we can never please. It is true that left to ourselves we cannot please God, but God has been pleased in his Son.

It is through Jesus, and his life poured on for us on his cross, that God invites us to experience compassion and kindness. His yoke and his burden are light.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 English Standard Version

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)
  
Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment