Monday, February 3, 2014

Living Like a Snapping Turtle

Palmer Park, Colorado Springs, Colorado

I posted this picture on the Praying With the Eyes Facebook page and someone commented that they saw a turtle. Now every time that I look at it all I see a turtle.

After doing a little research, I've come to the conclusion that this rock looks like an Alligator Snapping Turtle. They are one mean looking turtle.

The Alligator Snapping Turtle is a solitary creature.  With its looks I'm not surprised.

"A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare." Proverbs 15:1 New Living Translation

I've been guilty of speaking harsh words. I've chosen to use my tongue as a vicious weapon and in the process pushed people away and made myself a solitary creature.

Some of you have heard me say before, and I think it still holds true, that given the wrong time, and being in the wrong frame of mind, I can do (and probably will do) the wrong thing.

How many of us have let bitter words slip out of our mouths only to wish we could inhale them back into our lungs? But like water spilled on the ground, we cannot gather up our misspoken words.

We feel helpless when we abuse the gift of words.  The relational effect of angry words can be devastating.  Maybe it's for that reason we struggle believing that God will forgive us when we've spoken hateful words.

Yet the power to seek reconciliation for those damaging words comes only from Christ.  Knowing that we're forgiven is the power behind asking for forgiveness, and living differently.

We may not be able to take back our words, but we can receive forgiveness, seek reconciliation and begin again.

We don't need to live like a snapping turtle the rest of our lives.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-14 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR

No comments:

Post a Comment