Monday, February 3, 2014

"I Hate My Camera!" - an Introduction to the Trinity of Photography

ISO 320, f/2.8, 1/125 sec, 75mm

People are afraid to use their new cameras. I understand this fear. I still haven’t read the entire manual for my Sony A65...and I probably won’t.

Because of this fear many of us use these expensive cameras like our cell phone cameras. We select “Auto” or “Program” and hope that we’ll get lucky.

I don’t want you to be lucky. I want you to be in control of your camera with the hope that it will release the creative spirit inside of you. Your camera is an amazing tool for creativity.

So, what’s a person to do? No matter how many buttons exsist on your camera, there are three things that work in harmony to make a picture happen. Your expensive (or not so expensive) camera ought to allow you to control all three.  

The trinity of photography are ISO, aperture and shutter. In this blog I’ll introduce you to each, then in following blogs I’ll explain them in greater detail.  Let’s start with the ISO.

ISO

ISO is NOT and acronym (I’ll explain more in my next bonus blog) and refers to the speed of your camera’s sensor, that piece of equipment in your camera that captures the picture similar to film. That probably doesn't mean a hill of beans to you, but understanding ISO will open up a whole new world, especially when it comes to taking pictures in low light situations or getting that silky feel to waterfalls.  

Aperture

The aperture is the hole in your camera’s lens through which light passes to burn a picture on your sensor. Sometimes you want large hole and at other times you want a small hole. The size of the aperture affects the picture’s depth of field, commonly referred to DOF. This opens the door for creativity. More than likely your camera has a setting for aperture priority. I'll explain that mode in a later blog. 

Shutter

The shutter determines how long the light will pass through the aperture when taking a picture. One reason pictures appear blurry is because the shutter stays open too long and the camera moved in the photographer’s hand. Or the picture is blurry because the shutter was too slow in relationship to the movement of the object. We'll talk about shutter priority in a later blog.

UGH...that’s a lot to remember.

My goal is to help you become more creative with your photography. Understanding ISO, aperture and shutter will not automatically make your pictures better. Understanding composition is critical, yet your composition is affected by this photographic trinity.

I can’t address issues related to you camera. You will need to pull out the manual and experiment. As you grow in your photography, let me give you one piece of advice.

DON’T BE AFRAID TO EXPERIMENT.  YOU WON’T BREAK YOUR CAMERA.

If you have questions feel free to email me at dougbrauner@yahoo.com. I will try to get back to you in a reasonable amount of time.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-14 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR

No comments:

Post a Comment