Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Looking Up

Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Click on this SoundCloud link to listen to an audio recording of today's Blog.


"I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2 English Standard Version

What are you looking at when you walk down the hallway? I have often caught myself looking at the floor. Looking at the floor causes my shoulders to sag which in turn causes my back to hurt.

I know that I'm not the only person who looks at the ground when he walks. Some of you have the same habit, but why do we walk with our eyes fixed a few feet in front of us? Could it be saying something about what's happening in our lives?

We're hunched over with grief, depression and anxiety. It's hard to lift our eyes. There are days when I have to make a conscious decision to throw my head and shoulders back and look up as I walk.

The pilgrims making their journey to Jerusalem to celebrate had something to look up at. As the ascended the road into Jerusalem the splendor of the temple was displayed before them. Those who made this journey for the first time might have never seen a sight as magnificent as the temple in Jerusalem. There eyes were drawn upward and their spirits were lifted in praise.

God in Christ gives us a reason to lift our heads. He has wipes away our tears. He pulls us out of our despondency. He calms our restlessness. All this he does as we lift up our eyes and look, not at a magnificent building, but at a blood stained cross.

As a result of looking up at Jesus, crucified and resurrected, our lives are more erect. Life looks different when we stare up at Jesus.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes podcast on iTunes on the 1st and 15th of each month, as well as at SoundCloud.com by searching for "Praying With The Eyes."  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment