Monday, May 11, 2015

"Ain't No Mountain High enough"

Sangre de Cristo Mountians, Colorado

Click on this SoundCloud link to listen to an audio recording of today's Blog.

There are ten 14ers in the Colorado portion of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. These peaks are two of them.  The mountain in the foreground is Humboldt Peak standing 14,064 ft. The mountain in the distance is Crestone Peak a mere 14,294 ft. This is some pretty rugged terrain.

I have not ventured into this territory, it's too frightening. But that doesn't stop me from pulling out my trail map of the Sangres and mentally plan a hike or even better, a backpacking trip, one that I will probably never take.

It's the same attitude I have toward living my faith. Just as fear keeps me from venturing deep into the Sangres fear keeps me from taking risks in my faith journey.

The Apostle John would claim that my spiritual problem is a lack of understanding love.

"Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love." 1 John 4:18 New Living Translation

It was love that held Jesus to the cross and it is love that makes it possible for each one of us to pick up our cross and follow Jesus...not just in word but in living.

I think it's time to strap on the hiking shoes, slide on the backpack and go deep into the great unknown of faith.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes podcast on iTunes on the 1st and 15th of each month, as well as at SoundCloud.com by searching for "Praying With The Eyes."  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment