Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Thinking Soberly

Paint Mines, Calhan, Colorado

Many of you saw this picture on a Facebook post last Sunday. This pic connected with a point I made in my sermon that morning. Before I share why I posted this picture let me explain a little about it.

There's really nothing spectacular about this picture. I put my tripod as low as it would go and opened my aperture so that I would capture a shallow depth of field. That's a pretty simple process (though I did struggle to get my tripod back in the upright position).

My point on Sunday had to do with pride. It was related to what Paul wrote in Romans 12:3. "Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don't think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us." (New Living Translation)

My point in posting this picture was related to my desire to receive "likes" in Facebook for my pictures (I'm halfway to 100 likes on this picture). It is easy for each of us to think more highly of ourselves than we ought to think. We post something on Facebook and we start timing it to see when someone will like our post (even if they don't like it).

For some reason having a picture or a post liked on Facebook makes us feel like we're a somebody, or at least that's what we think it does.

What people say about us might cause us to feel good or bad about ourselves, but that feeling never last. The one who has declared us to be right in his eyes is the one who "likes" us. He likes us so much that he sacrificed his Son on a cross that we might spend eternity with him.

Not only did Jesus give us his life for us that we might enjoy eternity in his presence, he also acrifice himself so that we might have abundant life today.

And as Facebook friends go, we don't need to worry about God defriending us.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2013-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment