Saturday, August 9, 2014

On Being a Fool

Blue Lakes Reservoir, Colorado

I've not always been known as the smartest person in the world and this pictures is evidence. I was standing next to my car after hanging out with these mountains goats for a short period of time. I was thinking that I needed to get that super close up picture, but I didn't have the best lens on my camera. As a result I zoomed in with my feet by getting closer to the goat.

When you look behind the goat you'll notice a baby peering over the shoulder of the adult goat. Then you will notice the horns on this adult. I realized that standing close to this goat was probably not the best place to be. So, I slowly walked backwards and positioned the car between me and this goat.

Fortunately nothing happened.

"Oh, foolish Galatians! Who has cast an evil spell on you? For the meaning of Jesus Christ's death was made as clear to you as if you had seen a picture of his death on the cross." Galatians 3:1 New Living Translation

I have a feeling that the Galatian Christians had been fooled by false teachers as I was fooled. The false teaching sounded good and safe. It made logical sense, and before they were aware of what was happening, their faith was at risk. They were close to exchanging their faith in the merits of Jesus for a faith in their merits.

It has always been easy for Christians to be enticed by religions and philosophies that sound good to the ear but are harmful to our faith.

However, the Scriptures make it clear that Jesus is our only source of being declared right with God. Nothing we do brings anything to the table of salvation. God alone saves us.

Maybe its time to put some distance between us and ideas that rob Jesus' cross of its glory.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment