Monday, August 4, 2014

Freedom to Forgive

Eugene, Oregon

I knew this area as the gravel pits. It's now known as the Delta Ponds, a city park with trails and interpretive signs.
 
I spent a lot of time hanging out at the gravel pits. I fished here. I speared carp here. I smoked my first cigarette here. I had fun here, but I also did things at the ponds for which I'm not proud. My history with the gravel pits won't make it onto a sign along a trail. My history is burned in my person. It lives with me and it will die with me.

We all have places that are a part of history. Some of that history is good, and some not so good, but it is a part of who we are. Going back to those places can make us think both of good times and bad times.

Walking the trails around the delta ponds was a lesson in grace, that ability not only to know that God forgives me but that through is gift of forgiveness I'm able to forgive myself.

"For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus," Romans 3:22b-24 English Standard Version

The gravel pits not only remind me of the good times, they remind of me of my sin. This passage reminds me of God's grace in Jesus Christ. He nailed my sin to his cross and I can walk through those memories knowing that I am forgiven.

And since God has forgiven me I can forgive myself.  That's freedom

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment