Monday, December 23, 2013

In the Presence of Wisdom

Colorado Springs, Colorado

My grandparents always had their Christmas tree flocked. Once the flocked tree was set up in their home they not only placed white lights on the tree, they had another light that shined color on the tree from the floor. Maybe some of you have a similar memory of Christmases past.

God put his own flocking on creation in Colorado Springs this week. Everything was covered by hoarfrost. 

The Old English word, "hoar," is related to growing old. Hoarfrost makes everything look like it's growing gray hair. Though hoarfrost may be beautiful, many people view gray hair as a curse.

Why do we Americans have such a negative opinion of growing old? Many cultures value the elderly. Our culture sees them as a financial liability. This is not a godly attitude.

"Wisdom belongs to the aged, and understanding to the old." Job 12:12 New Living Translation

My mom is 83 and recovering from hip replacement surgery. I was privileged to spend time with her earlier this month. Since I live out of state I don't see mom as much as I ought. Nor do I call her as much as I should.

Yes it's hard to watch your parents grow older, but it's good to be in their presence. Mom and I didn't do much but watch the Food Network and sports. We talked about life and recovery. My hair--what little I have--is turning gray like mom's. We could even share stories about joint replacements.

Though there are changes in mom's life, she has a wisdom and understanding that I don't have, and maybe never will. And mom, I know I don't call enough and tell you that I care, but I love you. And thanks for sharing a few days with your baby.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2013 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment