Saturday, May 10, 2014

What's the Big Deal?

Chico Basin Ranch, Colorado

This is a simple picture. There is nothing spectacular about it. There's no chaos or calamity, and that's why I like it.

There is something wonderful about the ordinary, the simple, the mundane. Our lives are often so characterized by chaos and calamity that we desire a week, a day or even an hour of the ordinary, the simple, the mundane.

We desire peace.

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8 English Standard Version

God alone is our security and as such he alone is our peace. The problem is that we think the quiet life resides in what we do.

"If only I could get away to the mountains for a week, then I'd experience peace." "If only I could spend a couple hours wrapped in a blanket with a book, then I'd have peace." "If only I could take my camera for an evening stroll, then I'd find peace."

Though these activities might be good, they only bring temporary peace.  God invites us into his presence to experience lasting peace. We don't need to retreat to a mountain, get cozy with a book or walk the camera to experience peace. Our peace is in the One who makes us secure in his love, in the One who delights in us, in the One who has given everything for us.

Jesus Christ is our peace.  Jesus Christ is your peace.

He is your peace when you experience chaos.

He is your peace when you experience calamity.

So, what's the big deal if Christ is your peace?

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)
  
Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment