Sunday, May 18, 2014

Satisfied

Bear Creek Park, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Pity the poor bug that ended up this birds meal. This bird is desperate. I don't know what kind of tree clinging bird this is, but it was not going to be refused a meal.

This bird and I have something in common: We like to eat. I rarely skip meals (or snacks) which, for those of you who know me, is rather obvious.

Yet, I'm not always so desperate to feed at God's table.

"You open your hand; you satisfy the desire of every living thing." Psalm 145:16 English Standard Version

Physical hunger is real. We live it every day. Spiritual hunger is just as real but we don't always identify it as spiritual hunger. We talk about wants, needs and desires, yet don't realize that these desires, needs and wants are often rooted in spiritual hunger.

I wake up in the middle of night partly because of age, but also because of anxiety. I worry about the typical things: money, health and family. This anxiety reflects a deeper issue in me. I have a strong hunger that everything be "okay," that my finances be "okay," that my health be "okay," and that my family be "okay."

But not everything is okay.

The psalmist writes that God opens his hand and satisfies our desires, deals with our hunger and is the answer to our anxiety. God opened his hands when Jesus received the nails that fastened him to the cross. And in his cross, in his death and resurrection, our desires are satisfied.

Oh, God, may we hunger for you!

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment