Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pikes Peak, Colorado

Evidence of life.

On April 15 our nation was struck once again by senseless violence. The annual event of the Boston Marathon was devastated by bomb blasts killing three people and injuring many more.

Colorado was devastated by a massive wildfire in June, 2002. The Hayman fire burned 215 square miles of Colorado timber. Because of the drought conditions, it was also one of the hottest fires to burn in Colorado. As a result, the land has had a difficult time recovering.

When we experience national tragedies we have difficult time recovering. I still remember sitting in my second grade classroom and hearing that President Kennedy had been shot.

These fledgling aspen are a picture of hope.

"But now, O Lord, upon what am I relying? You are my only hope!" Psalm 39:7 New English Translation

I'd love to promise that there will never be another bombing like that in Boston, another terrorist attack like that experienced on 9/11 or a presidential assassination. I can't make these promises.

As I have often written in this blog, King David, who authored this psalm, knew tragedy, but it didn't stop him from putting his hope in the Lord.

You and I have even more reason than David to put our hope in God because we have experienced God's redeeming love for humanity in Jesus's suffering, death and resurrection.

When we experience any tragedy may we say with David, "You are my only hope!"

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2013 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment