Friday, November 29, 2013

Passing On a Legacy



Leaving a legacy is a popular topic in Christian and non-Christian circles, but it is difficult to determine what that legacy ought to be.  

Whether it was intentional or unintentional, I see the legacy that my mother-in-law left behind when I look at my wife, Janice.  

"I have been young, and now I am old, but I have never seen a righteous person abandoned or his descendants begging for food." Psalm 37:25 God's Word to the Nations

Though this passage doesn't speak directly to a legacy, it does address the issue of righteousness. A right relationship with God is an eternal legacy.

A legacy of righteousness is greater than any physical inheritance. This is the legacy that my mother-in-law left behind. It is the legacy that my father left behind, and I pray that it is the legacy that I leave with my children and grandchildren.

Understand that a legacy of righteousness is different than a legacy of perfection. My father and mother-in-law were not perfect people. They would be the first to admit their imperfections. The Bible states that all of us have sinned and fallen short of God's glory (Romans 3:23), but (and this is a big but) they were declared right with God through the merits of Jesus (Romans 3:24).

As you consider the legacy of your life, may that legacy be characterized by the righteousness of Christ. Your relationship to Christ will make a lasting impact on others.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2013 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.

No comments:

Post a Comment