Thursday, August 1, 2013

Heading in the Same Direction

Portland, Oregon

Growing up I broke my parent's piggy bank on shoes not because I purchased so many but because my feet were long, narrow and flat. Yes, I'm special.

When it came to purchasing shoes, my choices were limited (unless I wanted blisters and sore toes).

What catches my eye in this photo is not whether these shoes will fit my feet but the fact that this great variety of shoes is heading in the same direction.

God's intent for his people is that we head in the same direction. As I have often written in this blog, there is a great variety, a vast array, of people who make up the Body of Christ. Each one of us is uniquely crafted by God and etched into his hand, but as a community we're often heading in different directions.

"Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus." Romans 15:5 New American Standard Version

I had a conversation recently with an atheist whose argument against Christians was the fact that we don't agree with each other. In many ways, we Christians are not "of the same mind" because we have forgotten that this same mind has its roots in Christ Jesus.

Because of sin we will always struggle with unity, with heading in the same direction. However, God has given the Christian community the gift of the Holy Spirit. It is the Holy Spirit who day in and day out places us in the right direction just as these shoes have been placed by the clerk.  

I pray that our various worshiping communities scattered throughout this world will acknowledge this work of the Holy Spirit as we point to Christ with one mind.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2013 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment