Friday, January 30, 2015

The Journey Begins

Mt. Sherman, Colorado

There are 53 mountains in Colorado over 14,000 feet. We affectionately call them 14ers. For many of us living in Colorado, it is our goal to climb one of these mountains in our lifetime, if not more. I climbed my first 14er on September 1, 2011, along with my sons, Joel and Nathan.

Why did we choose Mount Sherman? 1) It ranks 45th on the list at 14,036 feet, 2) you don't need a four wheel drive vehicle to get to the trailhead, and 3) it is rated as one of the easiest to climb and good for your first 14er.  However, that didn't make it easy.

"Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-14 English Standard Version

I couldn't keep up with my sons. The point depicted in this photo was the most grueling. The saddle, where we're hiking, is at 13,150 feet. (Yes for you Oregonians that nearly 2,000 ft. higher than Mt. Hood.) I took fifty paces, stopped. Fifty paces stopped. Eventually I made it past this steep incline to the narrow ridge.

The goal of eternal life is already ours in Christ, but living this side of eternity can be like climbing a mountain. God is always in the process of changing us. We call this sanctification. It doesn't mean that we become more perfect, but that God continues to move us forward in life by the power of forgiveness.

So, we forget what lies behind and press on in our life's journey. The next few days I want you to journey with my sons and me as we climbed Mount Sherman. I hope you will enjoy this virtual climb with us and see in it the upward call of God in Christ.

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast at the ib network on Sundays at 8:00 am, 11:30 am, 1:00 pm and 8:30 pm MST (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show on the ib network on Tunin Radio.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment