Thursday, March 27, 2014

I Couldn't Help Myself

Red Rock Canyon, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Red Rock Canyon is filled with miles upon miles of trails. And if you're tired of hiking in the Canyon you can slip over to Section 16 for more trails. Smack dab in the middle of these trails is this quarry. The Red Rock quarries were quite active in the latter part of the 1800's and provided Lyons sandstone to Old Colorado City, Manitou Springs and surrounding areas.

I don't like taking pictures of the quarry. As I hiked past the quarry I said to myself that I wasn't going to take a picture. But I did anyway. Even though I don't find it pretty, there is something that draws me to it.

After slaying his brother Abel, God said to Cain, "If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it." Genesis 4:7 English Standard Version

Therein lays the problem: Sin does rule over us. We cannot free ourselves from that impulse to stop and take the picture; to keep sin from ruling over us.

When you think about what Jesus did for us by submitting to the cross it becomes evident that he allowed sin to rule over him, drag it to the grave and bury it there.

What we cannot do, Jesus did for us. By submitting to death he ruled over sin. You and I cannot master sin so Jesus did it for us.

Our response is not to throw up our hands and say, "Oh well, there's nothing I can do." Our response is to humbly get on our knees and thank God for the grace that covers our lives and live our lives as a thank offering to him.

Today's Challenge: Lay at the foot of the cross that which causes you to throw up your hands and say, "Oh well, there's nothing I can do."

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.  

No comments:

Post a Comment