Saturday, March 22, 2014

Anxiety's Antidote

Courtenay, British Columbia

If you're getting the feeling that I enjoyed my time on Vancouver Island, B.C., you would be correct.  Yet it was also one of the most difficult vacations I've taken.  When I snapped this calming picture of sailboats in Courtenay, Colorado Springs was on the verge of going up in smoke. While Janice and I enjoyed some time of refreshment, friends were worried about their homes surviving.

For me this was a quick lesson on the unproductive nature of worry.  There was nothing I could do since I was miles away, even when my son called, panicked because he had to close the restaurant at which he worked.  The restaurant was under mandatory evacuation as the flames raced down the mountain carried by high winds.

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6 New Living Translation

There were many prayers offered to our benevolent God when the fire seemed ready to devour our community.  There have also been many prayers of thanksgiving for those who put themselves in harms way to keep the beast contained.

Prayer is an amazing antidote to anxiety for our prayers do not fall on deaf ears, but on the ears of the one who emptied heaven of his Son that we might no longer be consumed with worry.

Today's Challenge: Offer your anxieties to God, not merely in a quick one sentence prayer to God, but in a walk around the block prayer.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.  

No comments:

Post a Comment