Friday, January 10, 2014

The Death Grip of Life

Lutheran Valley Retreat, Colorado

Lichen are interesting organisms.

Lichen are made up of two different organisms living in a symbiotic relationship with each other. Lichen consist of fungus and algae. These organisms are everywhere. One estimate states that 6% of the earth is covered in lichen.

I'd hate to be that graduate student doing that statistical research.

"I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely." Psalm 63:8 New Living Translation

I'd love to say that we live in a symbiotic relationship with God. Believe me, as I wrote this blog I tried to make that metaphor work, but I couldn't. Here's the difference:

Algae is algae apart from the fungus, and fungus is fungus apart from algae. We are nothing apart from God.

Though we do not live in a symbiotic relationship with God, we cling to him like the lichen clinging to this rock.  He is our life.

Or maybe I should say, God clings to us. His "strong right hand holds" us secure.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR

No comments:

Post a Comment