Saturday, January 4, 2014

My Five Favorite Photography Podcasts

Sony A65, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens, shot at 75mm, f20, 30 sec. ISO 100

I've been known to fish, hike and garden, but I don't have the passion for these hobbies as I have for photography. So it shouldn't surprise you that I'm also a student of photography. I don't have the time or the money to take photography classes, but I've discovered podcasts on iTunes that serve as my classroom in photography.

Here are my top five podcasts on photography.

1) Improve Photography by Jim Harmer

Jim produces two podcasts per week. Early in the week he interviews a photographer who is engaged in the business of photography. Later in the week he answers listener's questions dealing will all sorts of photography questions. Of these two weekly podcasts I enjoy the latter the most. Jim is funny and pleasant to listen to. This is the podcast I'd begin with if I began to take an interest to photography podcasts.  http://improvephotography.com/

2) Martin Bailey Photography by Martin Bailey (Enhanced Version)

Martin is a world landscape photographer who, in his enhanced version, displays his pics then explains his technique in shooting these pictures. At times he can be quite technical, but I have found that he takes me deeper into photography than other podcasts. I love his photography, especially of Japanese Snow Monkeys.  http://www.martinbaileyphotography.com/

3) Tips from the Top Floor by Chris Marquardt

You've got to listen to this podcast simply for Chris's German accent. This is the longest running podcast on photography. He deals with all sides of photography from composition to equipment. Like Improve Photography he will take questions from his listeners. I find Chris to be quite engaging.  http://www.tipsfromthetopfloor.com/

4) The Candid Frame by Ibarionex Perello

This is the best interview podcast that I've come across. Each week Ibarionex interviews a different photographer or someone in the industry. He also has a wonderful Flickr page, The Candid Frame, where anyone can post pictures and others write comments. I have posted a few of my pictures on his Flickr page. http://thecandidframe.com/

5) The Digital Story by Derek Story

Each week Derek has three "stories" one that usually deals with equipment, one on traveling light which he calls his Nimblelosity Report, and the third story dealing with technique. I find The Digital Story most helpful for equipment. Apple fan will enjoy this podcast as he works exclusively with Apple products for post production.  http://www.thedigitalstory.com/

There are others that I listen to periodically; LensWorks; Subject, Composition and Light; Camera Position. Like I said, I'm addicted to learning more about photography. The beauty of podcasts is that I can listen to them while I drive, exercise or relax at home.

DISCLAIMER: By listing these podcasts as my favorites I am not necessarily endorsing their worldview.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2014 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR

No comments:

Post a Comment