Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Mighty Fortress, Part I


 The Wartburg, Eisenach, Germany

The Wartburg Castle can be seen from a distance as it sits on a hill outside of Eisenach. Now a UNESCO World Heritage site, what you see is similar to what Luther experienced but not quite the same.  Because of disrepair, an extensive remodeling effort in the 1800's gave the castle its present look.

What many people don't know is that when Luther hid here from  May of 1521 to March of 1522 there was no regal family living here and Luther didn't especially enjoy his time at the Wartburg surrounded by knights.

After being placed under both the papal and imperials bans at the Diet of Worms in April of 1521, Elector Friedrick the Wise captured Luther and brought him to the Wartburg for protection. Luther was now public enemy #1.

"The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety." Psalm 18:2 New Living Translation

Though he might not have always found the Wartburg to be the best place to live, it was a place of safety. Though we might not always like what God's Word says to us, it is our place of refuge.

The Word of God points us to Jesus.

The Word of God directs our footsteps.

The Word of God forms the Christian community.

By the way, it took Luther only ten weeks to translate the New Testament into German while protected by this mighty fortress. Protect by the Word of God, he can do great things through us.

(Look for A Might Fortress, Part II a few blogs down the road.)

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2013 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment