Monday, May 20, 2013

Mt. Angel, Oregon

The courage to wear lederhosen.

Oktoberfest is serious business in Mt. Angel, Oregon. This small community of only 3,000 people is know throughout the Pacific Northwest for this annual celebration. Seeing this man in lederhosen and banging on  drum participating in the 4th of July parade is not only accepted but expected in Mt. Angel.

Where he might seem out of place and not accepted is in a St. Patrick's Day parade in Boston. Green lederhosen is not the same as a green kilt. (You won't catch me in either, thank goodness, right?)

Maybe we Christians feel like we're wearing lederhosen in a St. Patrick's Day parade.

"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, so that they can see my glory that you gave me because you loved me before the creation of the world." John 17:24 New English Translation

Trouble for the Christian community occurs when we start feeling at home in this world. This world is the wrong parade. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we Christians ought not enjoy God's creation or find joy in this life. But this creation and these joys are the appetizers for our true home.

No matter how we look at life, Christians are wearing lederhosen in a St. Patick's Day parade...and that's okay.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2013 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment