Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Bear Creek Park, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"The valley of the shadow."

Winter is not the time to figure out whether a tree is alive or dead. This tree in Bear Creek Park is dead, but I didn't know that until I revisited this tree in the summer. In the winter this picture seems more acceptable. It didn't even dawn on me that this tree might be dead. Death is what we expect in the winter.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Psalm 23:4 English Standard Version

In the Spring of 1982 my appendix burst and I should have died had it not been for the fact that my appendix was in the wrong place and it kept the poison contained. After spending ten days in the hospital I returned to our apartment, looked in the mirror and, at age 25, came face-to-face with my mortality.

We "walk through the valley of the shadow of death" everyday, yet God guides us with his rod and staff on this journey.

The rod was used to beat off the predators that preyed on the flock. The shepherd was vigilant with his rod. The cross of Jesus is our rod. With his cross Jesus has defeated our greatest enemies; sin, death and the devil.

The staff was used to bring sheep back into the fold when they strayed. The Word of God is our staff that reminds us of this path on which we walk through the valley of the shadow of death. God uses his Word, especially his Word of forgiveness, to bring us back into his fold.

Yes, everyday you walk through the death's valley, but you do not walk alone. Your Good Shepherd walks with you, that Good Shepherd who laid down his life for you.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2013 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment