Friday, January 18, 2013

Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Beware of Rattlesnakes!

A sign warning of rattlesnakes is posted near where I took this picture. I have a feeling that with the temperatures hovering around 12 degrees, I didn't need to worry about rattlesnakes. In fact, as I have mentioned in another blog, I have never seen a rattlesnake in the Garden of the Gods. They're probably there but I think the signs are more of a deterrent to people who want to wander off the paved paths.

How many people have read that sign and then all they think about are rattlesnakes and they miss the beauty of the park? I hate snakes. I lift my feet when my car runs over a snake because I'm sure that somehow in someway that snake is going to bite me through the floorboards of the car. But fear of snakes is not worth missing the beauty of the Garden.

"But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy." 1 Peter 3:14-15a English Standard Version

What is the "rattlesnake" that instinctively makes you defensive and cautious? Is it a broken relationship with a loved one?  Is it the threat of losing your job? Is it cancer? I'm not going to tell you that you'll never run into that "rattlesnake." Odds are in my favor that if I keep hiking in the Garden of the Gods one day I'll see a rattlesnake. But do we need to live in fear?

The antidote to our fear is worship of the one who faced the venom of Satan on his cross. He died from that venom called sin, our sin, but rose and has conquered sin, death and the devil...for you!

So, instead of being afraid of the "rattlesnakes", enjoy the beauty of God's garden that is part of your life today.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2013 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR

No comments:

Post a Comment