Thursday, January 17, 2013

Invited to a Surprise

Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, Colorado

When you walk along the trails in the Garden of the Gods you don't know what lays ahead. Granted, many of us have hiked these trails numerous times and we know where they lead, yet each time we walk these paths we see something different. Even though I had previously climbed these steps near the Three Graces rock formation, I found them inviting me to a surprise.

At the top of the trail I was surprised not only by the view of the central garden but also by some cat tracks that wandered around in the snow. I've seen a Bobcat in the Garden in the summer and I wondered if these were tracks of just such a creature.

"You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." Psalm 16:11 New International Version

It saddens me to think that many of us have lost sight of God's desire to surprise us in worship. Even though we have gathered often with God's people, it has simply become a ritual and we don't expect anything from God.

When I pack the car for a photo shoot I often pray, "Father, surprise me." And I am amazed at how God answers my prayer. Though I couldn't stay in the Garden long when I took this picture, God answered my prayer.

This week, before you worship, pray that God would surprise you. God delights in surprising us.

Join the conversation at Praying With the Eyes on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/groups/173881749421231/

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2013 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR

No comments:

Post a Comment