Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pancake Rocks, Pikes Peak, Colorado

The cumulative effect of life.

No, this is not another blog on ducks, though I'm still recovering after Saturday's loss by the Oregon Ducks to Stanford (how can a team named after a color win a football game).  These rocks piled one on top of another are a good picture of what I sense going on in my life.

Life is a compilation of experiences.  One event is stacked on another until they take on a life of their own.  As a result, what I see happening in me is that present events are blown out of proportion.  Something happens today that is attached to an event of the past and makes it worse than it really is (or better).

Janice and I have an argument.  That argument is piled on top of 34 years of arguments.  As a result that one argument stacked on top of others contributes to the picture of our marriage.  And no one's picture looks like someone else's.

"For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us."  Psalm 103:11-12 ESV

Though this side of the grave we live with the reality that our experiences are stack one on top of the other, in God's mercy every day we start over.  I know that I've written about this before, but it is such an amazing, freeing concept to know that because of forgiveness today I start over.  That is the power of the cross.

We might be shaped by the cumulative effect of life, but the power of the cross is greater than the compilation of these events.

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.  

No comments:

Post a Comment