Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Grandpa Brauner

Pointing the way.

Today would have been my father's 89th birthday.  It is hard for me to believe that he joined the Church Triumphant over three and a half years ago.

I remember my father for his love of my mom, his provision for our family, his love of sports and most of all for pointing the way to Christ.

My father wasn't perfect.  We all knew this.  But he knew the One who paid the price for him. 

And in a way that was uniquely Ken Brauner, he pointed the way to Christ.  I remember family devotions, attending Sunday Bible classes with him and that rare occasion of getting up early for the men's breakfast Bible class (we had to be at church extra early as my dad helped make the breakfast).

"Teach [these words] to your children, and talk about them when you're at home or away, when you lie down or when you get up." Deuteronomy 11:19 GW

I owe my dad a lot.  He taught me to see the world as an artist.  Many of the photos that appear in this blog owe their beginning to my father.  He taught me about light, color and composition (though most of the time he did so indirectly).

I look forward to the day that I will be with my dad in the presence the Artist.

Marantha! Come quickly Lord!

By the way, a good song for today: "My Father's Eyes" by Eric Clapton.

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks - it reminded me of hte many aspects of my Dad as well and I love the sone by Eric Clapton too. I'm following your blog from Virginia. Take care,

    Carole Heimann

    ReplyDelete