Sunday, February 1, 2015

Summited! Now What?

Mt. Sherman, Colorado

I'll bet you were expecting more from this picture; a grand vista or a awe-inspiring panorama. Sorry. Just a picture of a marker letting you know that my sons and I reached the 14,036 foot summit of Mt. Sherman.

Don't get me wrong. There was a great sense of accomplishment in making it to the top. Yet aren't there times when summits seem anticlimactic, times when we reach our goal and we're left wanting more?

"What strength do I have left that I can go on hoping? What goal do I have that I would want to prolong my life?" Job 6:11 God's Word to the Nations

When some of us have reached our goals we wonder what we've actually accomplished. There is this feeling of, "so that's all there is, a stick in the ground?  This isn't what I expected." And we lose our strength to hope. We might feel more like Job than Sir Edmund Hillary, one of two men to first summit Mt. Everest.  

Standing on top of Mount Sherman is more than a personal victory as if I was checking something off my bucket list. For me, the beauty of the summit was seeing not what I had accomplished but the majesty of creation over which God said, "It is very good."  

You don't have to climb a mountain to see the handy work of God. I invite you to view life from another summit by looking into the eyes of the person staring back at you in the mirror. What you will see is a person for whom Christ died and through his death has declared good.

What a view!

Join the conversation on our Facebook group: Praying With the Eyes
You can listen to the Praying With the Eyes broadcast at the ib network on Sundays at 8:00 am, 11:30 am, 1:00 pm and 8:30 pm MST (www.ibnetwork.us). You can also listen to the show on the ib network on Tunin Radio.  

(Click on picture to enlarge.)

Text and Photographs ©Copyright 2012-2015 Douglas P. Brauner.  ARR. 

No comments:

Post a Comment